Is there anything worse than a clogged drain? We’ve all been there – it’s especially frustrating when the problem keeps coming back, no matter how many times you try to unclog it. Luckily, there are some simple steps you can take to help unclog your drain and make sure the problem doesn’t come back. Here’s how:
1. Start with a plunger – Plungers are incredibly effective at unclogging drains, but they don’t always do the trick. If your plunger isn’t able to get the job done, try using a plumbing snake or auger instead. Don’t worry, a Blocked Drain Plumbing Company will have these if you don’t.
2. Use boiling water – Boiling water can help to break down whatever is clogging your drain and clear out the debris. Simply pour a pot of boiling water directly into your clogged sink or tub, wait a few minutes for it to do its job, and then try running some cold water through the pipes to flush out any remaining residue.
3. Use a chemical cleaner – Chemical drain cleaners can be purchased at most hardware stores, and they are often effective in clearing out clogged drains. However, it’s important to note that these chemicals can be quite caustic and should only be used as a last resort. When using a chemical cleaner, wear rubber gloves and safety goggles, as well as make sure to keep children and pets away from the area.
4. Try a plumbing snake – A plumbing snake, or an auger, is a long metal cable that is inserted into the clogged pipe and then manually turned or cranked to break up the blockage. If a clog is beyond the reach of a plunger, this is one of the best ways to clear it out. Snakes can be purchased at most hardware stores or rented from your local home improvement store.
5. Make sure it’s clear – After all of the steps have been taken to unclog your drain, you should still take precautionary measures to ensure the pipe is completely clear. Turn on the water and let it run for a few minutes and check for any signs of backup. If the water is draining properly, your drain is unclogged.
What if the water still isn’t draining properly? Well, this is the time to call in professionals.
Professional Plumbing Services
As mentioned earlier, one advantage of professional plumbing services is that they have all of the proper tools, knowledge, and experience to unclog any kind of drain. From smaller bathroom sinks to large kitchen drains and outdoor sewer lines, these experts have the necessary tools to get your drain running smoothly again.
The process starts with a thorough inspection of the drain system. Professional plumbing services will use specialised cameras and other equipment to identify any blockages or clogs that are causing the issue. Once the issue has been identified, they will then use high-pressure water jets to push through any buildup or blockages and flush out the pipes. This process is often referred to as “hydro jetting” and it can quickly and effectively break apart any obstructions in the system.
Sometimes, the blockage is further down the line such as a tree root or a collapsed pipe. If this is the case, professional plumbers will use specialised tools to dig out any debris and replace the damaged pipe or remove the root.
If you have a clogged drain, it is important to contact a professional plumber as soon as possible if you can’t clear it yourself. With expertise and equipment, your water will be running freely again soon enough!